I know it probably looks like the majority of recipes I post are salads, but it has been such a HOT summer already and a salad is so refreshing on a humid summer day — especially one with a citrus based dressing! And on the plus side it’s peach season. Whatever peaches you have left from not grilling or just having as a snack, try in a salad. They add a sweet and flavorful punch as well as compliment whatever vegetables you’ve also added to your greens.
Peach and Cucumber Salad with Honey Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
A sweet citrus salad that's perfect to enjoy in the middle of a hot summer.
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- 1 peach, thinly sliced
- 2 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 TB fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp lemon zest, minced
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp thyme
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Using a small mixing bowl, add all vinaigrette ingredients and whisk well. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, add all salad ingredients. Drizzle vinaigrette overtop and enjoy.
When the weather has turned hot, I just can’t seem to get enough of salads. Often I try to mix it up a little so it’s not the same ol’ and I’m trying a different combination of veggies or protein. I’ve been especially trying to get my vegetables in this week since starting this new nutrition program where dinner should be 75% veggies and 25% protein. This meal is right on target for that!
Honey Mustard Chicken and Bacon Salad
Marinated honey mustard chicken served over a bed of spring greens, veggies and bacon crumbles. A drizzle of homemade honey mustard dressing tops it off.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup crumbled cooked bacon, about 4 pieces
- 4 cups spring salad mix
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup sweet corn
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium size bowl, add ingredients for the marinade/dressing. Divide half into a separate shallow dish and add chicken breasts. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours minimum. Refridgerate the other half for your dressing.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large size skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken; searing each side for about 3-5 minues. Repeat until chicken is a golden brown and is cooked through. Remove from pan and allow to cool momentarily. When chicken is cool enough to handle, slice into pieces and set aside.
- Divide 4 cups of salad into 4 bowls or plates. Add bacon, tomatoes, corn and onion. Next add your chicken and drizzle the honey mustard dressing you had set aside earlier.